Of the ten knowledge areas the Project Integration Management knowledge area is the only knowledge area that is not based on a specialized discipline such as scope, time, or cost management. The project integration management knowledge area is the glue that holds the project management process framework together. It has the following characteristics:
- Its main purpose is to integrate the other eight knowledge areas together. A good way to imagine the difference between this knowledge area and the rest is the story of the Blind men and the elephant. In this ancient story a group of blind men touch an elephant but only one part and extrapolate what they’ve touched. Naturally given the isolated experience they had each had a different interpretation of what they’ve touched. Only after they start integrating their learning it becomes known to them they’ve been examining an elephant.
- Its processes are the CORE processes of each and every project management process group.
- Develop Project Charter is the core process of the Initiating Process Group [see table 3-2].
- Develop Project Management Plan is the core process of the Planning Process Group.
- Direct and Manage Project Execution is the core process of the Executing Process Group.
- Monitor & Control Project Work and Perform Integrated Change Control processes are the core processes of the Monitoring & Controlling Process group.
- Close Project or Phase is the core process of the Closing Process Group.
- It has processes in all project management process groups (initiating, planning, executing, monitoring & controlling, and closing). As you can see in Figure 3-2 the processes in the project management process groups are processed in a circular and iterative fashion. The same principle applies to the Project Integration Management knowledge area. Processes in this knowledge area are HIGHLY
There are 6 Processes in this knowledge area (also displayed in Figure 3-3):
- Develop Project Charter (Initiating process group)
- Develop Project Management Plan (Planning process group)
- Direct and Manage Project Work (Executing process group)
- Monitor and Control Project Work (Monitoring and Controlling process group)
- Perform Integrated Change Control (Monitoring and Controlling process group)
- Close Project or Phase (Closing process group)
Project Integration Management knowledge area processes are the glue that holds the rest of the processes from the project management process group as displayed in the next figure:
The following Figure contains the entire ITTO for this Knowledge Area, they will be covered in Chapter 4.