What is the assessment exam and why it is placed right in the beginning?
The following exam will serve as an assessment tool giving you a sense of what areas to focus on more during this course. This is a calibration test and is not graded. Your performance in this test is used against the final exam so that Bright ID-US can tailor this course to its student body pace and requirements more efficiently.
Calibration and assessment test: 40 questions to address strengths of the student in different areas (i.e., project process groups) please try your best and don’t use external sources for answering the questions. This is a test to assist Bright ID-US in measuring your progress by comparing the grades from the calibration test with the final text at the end of the course.
Pretest (Calibration test)—please note this test is not graded
1. Which one of the following metrics tells you the efficiency of your schedule management?
2. What are the most important skills of a project manager?
A) Multi-tasking skills
B) Leadership skills
C) Communications skills
D) Influencing skills
3.Which one of the following statements is true?
A) Perform quality assurance is mainly concerned with overall and continuous process improvement
B) Perform quality assurance process is only concerned with implementing quality assurance checkpoints so that the probability of having defect products of the project are reduced (even before reaching the post production quality control stage)
C) Perform quality assurance process is mainly concerned with improving the processes used for managing the project on a day to day basis
D) Control quality process is mainly concerned with improving the processes used for managing the project on a day to day basis AS WELL as more longer term processes
4. You introduce two new members to your project team. What team development phase will your project be after adding the new team members?
5. Which one of the following statements is true regarding project risk?
A) Project risks threaten the project and have to avoided at all cost
B) Project risks are opportunities or threats that can have positive or negative effects on the project
C) Project risks threaten the project and should be avoided or eliminated if the cost is justified
D) Projects are unknown threats and as such the best way to defend the project against them is to factor in some safety (padding) in the budget, cost, and scope of the project
6. Monte Carlo is part of one of the tools and techniques of what process?
A) Perform Quantitative Risk Analysis
B) Perform Qualitative Risk Analysis
C) Estimate Costs
D) Estimate Activity Durations
7. Which one of the following increases project risk?
A) Critical chain
B) Fast tracking
D) Critical path
8.Which one of the following theories or models states that individuals work only to pay their bills and are generally unwilling to accept responsibility?
A) McGregor Theory of X
B) McGregor Theory of Y
C) McGregor theory of Z
D) None of the other answers
9. Risk register, requirements traceability matrix, and RBS belong to …. ?
A) Initiating process group
B) Integration knowledge area
C) Planning process group
D) Risk management knowledge area
10. Project managers have the lowest amount of power in which organization type?
A) Weak matrix
B) Balanced matrix
11. This diagram is used to illustrate the relationship between two variables. The name of the diagram is?
A) Ishikawa diagram
B) cause and effect diagram
C) scatter diagram
D) Pareto diagram
12. You have been spending a lot of time with your team members with the last few days to figure out how the components of your overall product relate to each other and what the overall map/structure of building the product can be like. What processes were you executing?
A)Develop project management and create develop schedule
B) Create WBS and verify scope
C) Develop project management and define activities
D) Create WBS and define activities
13. You are sent to far east as a project manager and are finding it increasingly difficult to manage your project as you can’t speak the local language, don’t know the cultural and ethical norms, have no one with a similar background to relate to. What is this kind of a situation referred to as?
A) culture shock
B) Home sick
C) orientation period
D) This happens to most expatriate managers in their first few assignments. There is no particular term for this period of adjusting to the new lifestyle
14. You have joined a large company with offices across US and Europe. A few days into your role you are assigned a project that is 8 months late but has been allocated a new round of funding. What is the best way to move forward?
A) Outsource the project as you don’t know much about it and the additional funding can make such a move possible
B) You are a new project manager and it takes a while to get to know the project; as such despite the additional funding the project can’t be completed at the originally agreed upon date
C) You look into options such as alternative analysis, fast tracking and crashing the schedule so that the project can be completed on time
D) Negotiate with senior management to extend the due date for the project and complete the project with the added funding
15. Your project has a risk management plan as well as a risk register with detailed information on actual risks and how to address them. You implement one of these response plans and it takes care of the risk itself but the solution itself creates a new risk. What is the new risk referred to?
A) Secondary risk
B) Trigger risk
C) Residual risk
D) Consequential risk
16. Name the ethical code of conduct you are expected to adhere to after passing your PMP® exam?
A) PMP® code of conduct
B) PMI® code of conduct
C) PMI® code of ethics and professional conduct
D) PMP® code of ethics and professional conduct
17. What percentage of the project manager’s time is spent communicating?
18. You are in a stage of your project where you and your team are defining project roles, project organizational structure, human resource assignment histogram. What process are you executing?
A) Develop project management plan
B) Develop project team
C) Acquire project team
D) Plan Human Resource Management
19.Which one of the following are NOT the Identify Risks tools and techniques?
A) Expert judgment, SWOT analysis, and assumption analysis
B) Checklist analysis, diagramming techniques, and documentation reviews
C) Risk assessment models and techniques, expert judgment, and assumption analysis
D) Documentation reviews, information gathering techniques, and checklist analysis
20. Which one of the following are the triple constraints?
A) Scope, Time, Cost
B) Cost, Quality, Scope
C) Cost, Quality, Time
D) Scope, Quality, Time
21. What is the project management plan?
A) It is the project WBS and network diagram
B) It is a simple report that explains what the project is all about, what are the core requirements and who is the project manager
C) It is a live collection of project management plans from all knowledge areas. The project management plan makes a comprehensive blue print for the execution of the project
D) It is a collection of the project network diagram, biweekly meetings agendas and minutes, and the project contract
22. Which one of the following statements best describes what a project scope is?
A) The project scope is measured in cost. For instance a project costing 2.6 million dollars is considered to have a larger scope than a project with an estimated budget of 1.5 million
B) The project scope is the scope and size of the actual product of the project. For instance 12,000 inch diameters of wielding is considered larger in scope than 8,953 inch diameters of wielding
C) The project scope is measured in duration. For instance a project taking 24 months has a larger scope than a project with 18 months in duration
D) The project scope is measured in the man-hour estimate for the project (for example a project with 2,506 man-hour is larger in scope than a project with 1,950 man-hour)
23. PERT stands for what?
A) Project Evaluation and Review Technique
B) Practical Evaluation and Review Techniques
C) Program Evaluation and Review Technique
D) None of the other answers
24. Stakeholder influence is at its highest when?
A) At the end since the stakeholders have to accept the final project
B) In the middle of the project
C) In the beginning of the project
D) It depends on many factors, one of which is the project life cycle
25. Which one of the following metrics will tell you how much more money is to be spent for a task or the project to be completed?
26. You are responsible for an organization-wide effort to change the programming language for all your company’s global websites from ASP.Net to PHP. This initiative will take 1 1/2 years and more than 18 IT teams from around the world will report to you. What is your role?
A) You are a portfolio manager
B) You are a functional department manager
C) You are a program manager
D) You are a project manager
27. Which one of the following best describes the monitoring and controlling processes group?
A) It is a process group that generates project performance reports
B) It is a process group executed from the beginning of the project to the end and is concerned with comparison of project plans and the work done, and if necessary closing the gap between the two
C) It is executed after the executing process group is finalized
D) It is a process group that is concerned with the quality assurance of the product of the project
28. Which one of the answers lists inputs, tools and techniques, and outputs present in both Estimate Costs and Determine Budget processes?
A) Enterprise environmental factors and organizational process assets
B) Project documents updates and basis of estimation
C) Expert judgment and reserve analysis
D) Bottom up estimating and cost aggregation
29. Each one of the following elements are from the Define Activities process except for one?
A) Project management plan
B) Rolling wave planning
C) Organizational process assets
D) Scope baseline
30. You are a project manager and after careful consideration have concluded that a portion of your project that is quite risky needs to be outsourced. Your goals are to ensure that the seller (vendor) conforms to your standards and absorbs all the risks. What type of contract is best for this sub-project?
A) Cost reimbursement contract
B) Fixed price
C) Time and Material (T&M) contract
D) None of the other answers
31. You go on a much needed vacation and in a quick follow up phone conversation with one of your team members are notified that two of your stakeholders have been fighting over your project’s schedule. What should you do?
A) You have taken a vacation and your team members should step up and resolve the conflict
B) You call the stakeholders and smooth the confrontation and will confront it once you are back from vacation
C) Escalate the conflict to the project sponsor
D) Get in touch with the stakeholders and tackle the conflict and ensure a practical solution is reached
32. The project management knowledge areas are …
A) Are integration, schedule, scope, time, cost, human resources, quality, risk, communications, procurement, and stakeholder
B) Are initiation, planning, executing, and monitoring & controlling
C) Are initiation, planning, executing, monitoring & controlling, and closing
D) Are integration, schedule, scope, time, cost, human resources, quality, risk, communications, and stakeholder management
33. You have the following metrics for a key activity in your project: BAC = 12000, CPI = 0.87, CV = -3000, EAC = 11300, PV = 12500, what is the value for the metric VAC?
34. The world’s authority on project management is which one of the following?
35. Which one of the following are common process inputs, tools and techniques, or outputs?
A) Change requests and risk management plan
B) Expert judgment and focus groups
C) Organizational process assets, expert judgment, and change requests
D) Organizational process assets, business case, and stakeholder register
36. Which one of the following statements are true regarding project risk?
A) Activities on the critical path due to the intense amount of attention received from management have the lowest level of risk
B) For organizations executing the same kinds of projects over and over, project risk can be eliminated
C) Full blown risk management is only justified where the failure of the project has catastrophic consequences (examples are NASA projects, rescue missions, etc.)
D) No matter how many times an organization executes similar projects it can not reduce the amount of risk to a level near zero
37. You are using the project management plan, approved changed requests, enterprise environmental factors, and organizational process assets and turn them into outputs using expert judgment, project management information system, and meetings. The outputs of the process are deliverables, work performance data, change requests, project document updates, and project management plan updates. What process are you executing?
A) Direct and Manage Project Work
B) Monitor and Control Project Work
C) Develop Project Management Plan
D) Validate Scope
38. You have been tasked to create a macro-level document explaining the project, its goals, main features, assumptions, and constraints. Which one of the following statements is correct?
A) You are in the closing process group and are preparing your project summary report
B) You are in the monitoring and controlling group and are preparing the integrated configuration report
C)You are in the planning process group and are creating the seed for the project management plan
D)You are in the initiating process group and are preparing the project’s charter
39. Which one of the following statements is true regarding the close project process group?
A) Close project is executed so that lessons learned can be handed over to the PMO
B) Close project is executed so that the project closure is done properly and the product of the project can be easily integrated into the organization’s operations
C) Closed project is executed so that the project manager can be assigned to new projects
D) Close project is executed so that the contract staff can be released
40. Which one of the following is an output of the Create WBS process?
B) WBS dictionary
C) Requirements documentation
D) Scope baseline